Sarah Shizuko Morimoto, Psy.D.
Dr. Morimoto is an Assistant Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College. She conducts research at the NIMH-supported Advanced Center for Interventions and Services Research (ACISR) on multiple aspects of late life depression including: neuropsychological deficits, treatment remission, and cognitive remediation.
Dr. Sarah Shizuko Morimoto received her BA in Psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, and her M.S., and Psy.D with a concentration in Clinical Neuropsychology at the PGSP-Stanford University Medical School Psy.D. Consortium. For her dissertation, she completed a construct validation of a Benton's tests of facial and Asian facial recognition. She then completed an internship in clinical neuropsychology at Harvard Medical School, and was a Postdoctoral Fellow in Clinical Neuropsychology at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Morimoto then joined the T32 fellowship at the Weill Cornell Institute of Geriatric Psychiatry.
She is now Assistant professor of Psychology in Psychiatry. Dr. Morimoto is a New York State licensed psychologist.
Please call (914) 682-5471 for more information or to make an appointment.
1. Gunning FM, Cheng J, Murphy CF, Kanellopoulos D, Acuna J, Hoptman MJ, Klimstra S, Morimoto S, Weinberg J, Alexopoulos GS. Anterior cingulate cortical volumes and treatment remission of geriatric depression. (2009) Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 24(8):829-36. PMCID: PMC2828674; PMID: 19551696.
2. Kelly R, Alexopoulos G, Wang Z, Gunning F, Murphy C, Morimoto S.S., Kanellopoulos D, Jia Z, Lim K, Hoptman M. Visual inspection of independent components: Defining a procedure for artifact removal from fMRI data. Journal of Neuroscience Methods (2010) PMID: 20381530
3. Morimoto S.S., Gunning F, Murphy C., Kanellopoulos D, Kelly R, Alexopoulos G. Executive Function and Short Term Remission of Geriatric Depression: The Role of Semantic Strategy. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (2010). PMID: 20808124
4. Alexopoulos GS, Glatt CF, Hoptman MJ, Kanellopoulos D, Murphy CF, Kelly RE, Morimoto SS, Lim K, Gunning FM. BDNF Val66met Polymorphism, White Matter Abnormalities and Remission of Geriatric Depression. (2010) J Affect Disorders, 125:262-8. PMCID: PMC2903650; PMID: 20346518.
5. Kanellopoulos D, Gunning F, Morimoto S.S., Hoptman M, Murphy C, Kelly R, Alexopoulos G. Hippocampal volumes and the BDNF val66met polymorphism in geriatric major depression. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (2010) PMID: 21218562
6. Kelly R, Alexopoulos G, Wang Z, Gunning F, Murphy C, Morimoto S.S., Kanellopoulos D, Jia Z, Lim K, Hoptman M. Hybrid ICA-seed-based methods for fMRI functional connectivity assessment: A feasibility study. Journal of Biomedical Imaging. (2010). PMCID: PMC2905944; PMID: 20689712
7. Morimoto S.S., Gunning, F. M., Kanellopoulos, D., Murphy, C.F., Kelly, R., Alexopoulos, G., "Strategy initiation predicts verbal memory and remission rate in geriatric depression". International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (2011). PMID:21618287
8. Pimontel, M.A., Culang-Reinlieb, M. E., Morimoto, S.S., & Sneed, J.R. Executive dysfunction and treatment response in late-life depression International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (2011) .
9. Morimoto S.S., Wexler, B.E., Alexopoulos, G.S. Neuroplasticity-Based Computerized Cognitive Remediation for Geriatric Depression. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (In Press)
10. Alexopoulos, G. S & Morimoto, S.S., The inflammation hypothesis in geriatric depression. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (2011) PMID:21370276
11. Morimoto S.S., Alexopoulos, G., Immunity aging and geriatric depression. Psychiatric Clinics of North America (2011). PMID:21536167 PMCID: PMC3099456
1. Morimoto,S.S.,Shanmugham,B., Kelly, R. & Alexopoulos, G.(2010) Depression with Cognitive Impairment in: Dementia, 4th Edition; Ames, Burns, & O'Brien (Eds.), Hodder Arnold, London.
Honors and Awards
2012-2017 K 23 MH 095830
2012 CTSC Pilot F1 Award
2011 NIH Loan Repayment Program Award
2010 Junior Investigator Award, International College of Geriatric Psyhoneuropharmacology.
2010 Geriatric Psychiatry Summer Research Institute (SRI) Fellowship, National Institute of Mental Health.
2002-2006 Academic Merit Fellowship, PGSP-Stanford University Medical School Psy.D. Consortium, September
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2001
- M.S., PGSP - Stanford Medical School PsyD Consortium, 2006
- Psy.D., PGSP - Stanford Medical School PsyD Consortium, 2007