Douglas S. Scherr, M.D.
1. Schultz PK, Herr HW, Zhang ZF, Bajorin DF, Seidman A, Sarkis A, Fair WR, Scherr DS, Bosl GJ, Scher HI. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for invasive bladder cancer: prognostic factors for survival of patients treated with M-VAC with five year follow-up. J Clin Oncol 12:1394-1401, 1994
2. Scherr DS, Poppas DP. Laser tissue welding. In, Technologic Advances in Urology: Implications for the Twenty-first Century. Urol Clin N Amer 25: 123-35, 1998.
3. Poppas DP, Scherr, DS. Laser tissue welding: a urological surgeons perspective. Haemophilia 4:456-462, 1998.
4. Scherr, DS, Poppas DP. Laser welding in urology. AUA Update Series XVII: pp1-6, 1998.
5. Scherr, DS, Chen A. Eid JF. A case report: In vivo excision of an angiomyolipoma from a living related renal transplant. J Urol, 163: 1859, 2000.
6. Scherr, DS, Vaughan ED Jr, Wei JT, Chung M, Felson D. Allbright R, Knudsen BS: Bc1-2 and P53 Expression in clinically localized prostate cancer predicts the response of patients to external beam radiotherapy. J Urol 162: 12-16, 1999.
7. Scherr, DS, Goldstein M. Comparison of bilateral versus unilateral varicocelectomy in men with palpable bilateral varicoceles. J Urol 162: 85-88, 1999.
8. Scherr, DS, Eastham, J. Ohori M. Scardino PT. Prostate biopsy techniques and indications: when, where and how? Semin Urol Oncol 20(1):18-31, 2002.
9. Scherr, DS, Pitts WR, Vaughan ED. DES Revisited: Anti-androgen therapy, osteoporosis and prostate cancer. J Urol, 167: 535-538, 2002.
10. Scherr DS, Swindle and Scardino, PT. NCCN Guidelines for the Management of Prostate Cancer. Urology 61 (Suppl 2A): 14-24, 2003.
11. Scherr, DS and Pitts, WR. Androgen Deprivation Therapy Without Estrogen Deprivation: The Non-Steroidal Effects of Estrogens in the Treatment of Prostate Cancer. J Urol 170(5): 1703-08, 2003
12. Knudsen, BS, Gmyrek, GA, Inra, J, Scherr, DS, Vaughan, ED, Nanus, DM, Kattan, MW, Gerald, WL and Vande Woude, G. High Expression of the Met receptor in prostate cancer metastasis to bone. Urology, 60(60): 1113-1117, 2002.
13. Scherr, DS, NG C, Munver, R, Sosa, RE, Vaughan, ED, et al. Practice Patterns Among Urologic Surgeons Treating Localized Renal Cell Carcinoma in the Laparoscopic Age: Technology vs. Oncology. Urology, 62(6): 1007-12, 2003.
14. Richstone L, Scherr, DS, Reuter, VE, Snyder ME, Rabbani F, Kattan M and Russo P. Multifocal renal cortical tumors: frequency, associated clinicopathological features and impact on survival. J Urol, 171(2 pt 1): 615-20, 2004
15. Chen, DY, Sosa, RE and Scherr, DS. Treatment of Adrenocortical Carcionoma: Contemporary Outcomes. Current Urology Reports, 5(1): 65-72, 2004
16. Boorjian S, Tickoo S, Mongan N, Nanus D, Yu H, Bok D, Rando R, Scherr DS, and Gudas L. Loss of Lecithin:Retinol Acyltransferase (LRAT) Expression Correlates with Increased Pathologic Tumor Stage in Bladder Cancer. Cancer Res, 10: 3429-3437, May 15, 2004.
17. Boorjian S, Ugras S, Mongan N, Gudas L, Tickoo S and Scherr DS. Androgen Receptor Expression is Inversely Correlated with Pathologic Tumor Stage in Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the Bladder. Accepted for Publication, Urology 64(2): 383-88, 2004.
18. Boorjian S, Ng C, Sosa RE, Munver R, Delpizzo J, Vaughan ED and Scherr DS. Laser Ablation of Upper Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma with the Intent on Kidney Preservation: Delay in time to Nephroureterectomy is Not Predictive of Poor Outcome. Accepted for Publication, Journal of Endourology, 2004.
19. Boorjian, S., Scherr, D.S., Mongan, N.P., Zhuang, Y., Nanus, D.M., and
Gudas, L.J. Retinoid Receptor mRNA Expression Profiles in Human Bladder
Cancer Specimens. International Journal of Oncology, in press.
1. Scherr, DS, Manyak MJ. BladderTumors and Calculi. In Sosa RE, Albala DM, Jenkins AD, Perlmutter, AP, eds. Textbook of Endourology. Philadelphia: WB Saunders and Co; 1997
2. Scherr, DS, Bosworth J. Steckel J. Complications of brachytherapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer. In: Smith, Teneja, et al, eds. Complications of Urologic Surgery. 3rd ed.2000.
1. Scherr, DS, Simmons R. Russo P. Multifocal renal cell carcinoma: a descriptive analysis [Abstract]. Presented at American Urological Association, Anaheim, CA 2001.
2. Scherr, DS, Pavlovich CP, Pitts, WR, Vaughan, ED. Collagen type I Crosslinked N-telopeptide as a urinary marker for osteoporosis in prostate cancer [Abstract]. Presented at American Urological Association, Atlanta, GA. 2000.
3. Scherr, DS, Vaughan ED, Wei JT, Chung M, Felsen D, Albright R, Knudsen B. Bcl-2 and P53 expression in clinically localized prostate cancer can predict the response to external beam radiotherapy. [Abstract] Presented at American Urological Association, Dallas, TX. 1999.
4. Scherr, DS, Choi B, Su LM, Moomjy M, Schlegel PN, Goldstein M. Pregnancy after testicular sperm extraction at the time of radical orchiectomy for cancer in a solitary testis. [Abstract] Presented at American Urological Association, San Diegeo, CA, 1998.
5. Scherr, DS, Goldstein M: Comparison of bilateral vs unilateral varicocelectomy in men with palpable bilateral varicoceles [Abstract]. Presented at American Urological Association, San Diego, CA. 1998.
6. Boorjian S, Ng C, Palese M, Sosa RE, Delpizzo J, Vaughan ED and Scherr DS. Delay in time to nephroureterectomy for patients undergoing ureteroscopic biopsy and laser tumor ablation of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma does not impact postoperative disease status. Presented at 2004 AUA, San Francisco, CA.
7. Boorjian S, Ng C, Munver R, Sosa RE, Vaughan ED and Scherr DS. Abnormal urinary cytology predicts increased tumor recurrence in upper tract transitional cell carcinoma treated with endoscopic laser ablation. Presented at 2004 AUA, San Francisco, CA.
8. Smith E, Albert M, Albert P, You X, Masse D and Scherr DS. Antigen cross presentation and cross priming in the treatment of superficial bladder cancer: The role of BCG-invoked specific CD8 T lymphocyte response against bladder tumor antigen. Presented at 2004 AUA, San Francisco, CA.
9. Richstone L, Shah H, Chen H, Kattan M, Schlegel PN, Vaughan ED, Eastham J, Scardino PT and Scherr DS. Radical prostatectomy (RRP) in men>70 years old: Effect of age on upgrading, upstaging and accuracy of preoperative nomograms. Presented at 2004 AUA, San Francisco, CA.
10. Boorjian S, Ng C, Munver R, Sosa RE, Vaughan ED and Scherr DS. Stage migration of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma: An argument for the continued role of endourologic diagnosis and treatment. Presented at 2004 AUA, San Francisco, CA.
2/98 Visiting fellowship, Februrary, 1998; Salzburg General Hospital, Salzburg, Austria
12/02 Visiting Professorship, December 6-13, 2002, Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria
10/02 The Changing Face of Hormonal Therapy in the Treatment of Prostate Cancer, Urology Grand Rounds, Brookdale Hospital, New York
9/03 A Modern Approach in the Treatment of Testicular Germ Cell Tumors. General Surgery Grand Rounds, Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Septmeber, 2003
9/03 WNBC-TV New York: Treatment Options for Prostate Cancer
9/03 NY-1-TV New York: Radiation and Surgical Treatments of Prostate Cancer
2/04 WNBC-TV New York, Screening for prostate cancer in African American Men