Christopher E. Starr, MD, FACS
Articles in Professional Peer-Reviewed Journals
7. Afshari NA, Duncan SM, Pineda R, Ma JK, Starr CE, Paton BG, Adelman R. Trends in Resistance to Ciprofloxacin, Cefazolin and Gentamicin in the Treatment of Bacterial Keratitis. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther, 2008 Apr, 24 (2): 217-23
9. Paul T, Lim M, Starr CE, Lloyd H, Coleman J, Silverman R. Central corneal thickness measured by the Orbscan II system, contact ultrasound pachymetry, and the Artemis 2 system. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008 Nov; 34(11):1906-12.
10. VanderBeek B, Silverman R, Starr CE. Bilateral Salzmann's-like nodular corneal degeneration after laser in situ keratomileusis imaged with anterior segment OCT and high frequency ultrasound biomicroscopy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009 Apr;35(4):785-7.
11. Shammas MC, Lai EC, Sarkar JS, Yang J, Starr CE, Sippel KC. Management of Acute Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis Utilizing Amniotic Membrane and Topical Corticosteroids. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010 Feb;149(2):203-213
12. Wessel MM, Sarkar JS, Jakobiec FA, Dang N, Bhat P, Michaud N, Starr CE. Treatment of lisch corneal dystrophy with photorefractive keratectomy and mitomycin C. Cornea. 2011 Apr;30(4):481-5
13. L Kiang, K Sippel, CE Starr, J Ciralsky, M Rosenblatt, N Radcliffe, DJ D'Amico, and S Kiss. Vitreoretinal Surgery in the Setting of Permanent Keratoprosthesis. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr;130(4):487-92.
14. Alzaga Fernandez AG, Radcliffe NM, Sippel KC, Rosenblatt MI, Sood P, Starr CE, Ciralsky JB, D'Amico DJ, Kiss S. Boston Type I Keratoprosthesis Donor Cornea Interface Evaluated by High-Definition Spectral-Domain Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:1355-9. Epub 2012 Aug 27.
15. Sambursky R, Trattler W, Tauber S, Starr C, Friedberg M, Boland T, McDonald M, Dellavecchia M, Luchs J. Sensitivity and Specificity of the AdenoPlus Test for Diagnosing Adenoviral Conjunctivitis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan 1;131(1):17-21
16. Sambursky R, Davitt WF, Latkany R, Tauber S, Starr C, Friedberg M, Dirks MS, McDonald M. Sensitivity and Specificity of a Point-of-Care Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 Immunoassay for Diagnosing Inflammation Related to Dry Eye. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan 1;131(1):24-8
1. Guyer DR, Gragoudas ES, Spaide RF, Starr CE. Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. In Albert DM and Jakobiec FA (eds.): Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology, 2nd ed. Philadelphia. W.B. Saunders Co, 2000, pp.1974-1982
2. Starr C, Perez VL, Pineda R. The Long Eye. In Pineda R, Espaillat A, Perez VL, Rowe SG (eds.): The Complicated Cataract: The Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Phacoemulsification Practice Handbook. NJ, Slack Inc., 2001, pp. 77-82
3. Snyder L, Koreishi A, Starr CE, Stark WJ. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy. In Foster CS, Azar DT, Dohlman CH (eds.): Smolin & Thoft's: The Cornea: Scientific Foundations and Clinical Practice, 4th ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins Co, 2005, pp 1075-1084
1. Lyu, Theodore MS; Lai, Edward MD; Starr CE. Management of Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome. Contemporary Ophthalmology. 8(5):1-7, March 15, 2009.
2. J Sarkar, N Abbas, J Yang, E Lai, Starr CE. INTACS for Keratoconus. Contemporary Ophthalmology 2009;8(24):1-8.
3. Starr CE, Klufas M. Boston Keratoprosthesis. American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeWiki (http://eyewiki.aao.org/Boston_Keratoprosthesis_(KPro)), 2011
Book Reviews & Commentaries:
1. Starr CE. Cornea Handbook, eds. Trattler, Luchs, Majmudar. Book review in the American Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol 149, Issue 6, Page 1018, June 2010
2. Starr CE, Donnenfeld ED. The Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis: Improving Outcomes and Expanding Indications, Commentary & Review of Article. Evidence-Based Ophthalmology: Volume 10, Issue 4;October 2009, pp 220-221
3. Starr CE. Cornea: Fundamentals, Diagnosis and Management & Surgery of the Cornea & Conjunctiva, eds. Krachmer, Mannis, Holland. Book review in the American Journal of Ophthalmology, in press, 2012
Letters to Editor:
1. Starr CE, Radcliffe NM. Intraocular pressure and swimming goggles, Letter to Editor. Br Jrnl Ophthalmol. 2009 May;93(5):700.
Posters & Papers at Major Meetings:
1. Starr CE, Afshari MA, Paton BG, Afshari NA. The Microbiological Spectrum of Bacterial Keratitis at the Massachusetts Eye Ear Infirmary: A 22 Year Review. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2000
4. Ma JK, Afshari MA, Pineda R, Ho J, Starr CE, Paton BG, Afshari NA. Emerging Resistance Patterns of Bacterial Keratitis: Is Fluoroquinolone Monotherapy Adequate?. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2001. Winner 2nd place prize, New England Ophthalmological Society poster contest, 2001
6. Koreishi A, Starr CE, Snyder L, Stark WJ. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy versus Penetrating Keratoplasty in the Treatment of Lattice Corneal Dystrophy. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2003, Paper also presented at the Wilmer Residents Association Meeting 2003
12. Masselam K, Wong J, Jardim J, Pettinelli, D, Soloway BD, Starr CE. Nomogram For The Pre-Operative Prediction of Ablation Depth With CustomCornea Refractive Surgery. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2005
14. Hsu I, Jardim D, Soloway BD, Starr CE. The Role of Posterior Capsule Opacification with the Crystalens Accommodating IOL. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2005
15. Soloway B, Zdenek G, Boxer-Wachler, B, Starr C, Jardim D. Scleral Spacing Procedure (SSP) for Presbyopia with Refocus Presview Scleral Implants (PSI) During FDA Phase II Clinical Trials. European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. Lisbon, Portugal 2005
17. Starr CE, Kazam T, Lai E. Pupil Size & Refractive Surgery: Should we be measuring the dark-adapted pupil? International Society of Refractive Surgery Meeting, Beijing, China 2007 (Poster) and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007 (Paper)
18. Wong JJ, Starr CE. The Effect Of Brimonidine 0.1% On Pupil Diameter And The Subsequent Change In Higher Order Aberrations Using Wavefront Analysis. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007
21. Paul T, Starr CE, Silverman RH. Corneal Thickness as Measured by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Optical Coherence Tomography, and Artemis-2. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007
22. Greyrose SE, Starr CE, Lloyd HO, Silverman RH. Comparative Central Corneal Thickness by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Artemis 2, and Visante OCT. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April 2008
23. Starr CE, McDonald M. Comparison of dry eye modalities in optimizing post-LASIK outcomes. Poster, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Refractive Surgery Sub-specialty Day, Atlanta, GA, October 2008
24. Sarkar J, Starr CE. Pop & Prechop, a safe supracapsular phacoemulsification technique. Poster, Association of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Meeting, San Francisco, April 2009
25. Abbey AM, Starr CE, Silverman RH. Comparative Peripheral Corneal Thickness by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Artemis-2, Orbscan, and Pentacam. Poster, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2009
26. Donnenfeld E., Holland E, Nichamin L, Wallace RB, Starr CE, Conway T, Hollander D. A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation of the Effects of Cataract Extraction and Limbal Relaxing Incisions on Corneal Sensation and Dry Eye. Poster and Paper given at the ASCRS Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2011
27. Rodriguez B, Klufas M, Starr CE. Effects on Endothelial Cell Count and Corneal Clarity of the "Pop & Pre-Chop" Supracapsular Phacoemulsification Technique. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, San Diego, CA April 2011
28. Klufas M, Rodriguez B, Starr CE. Pop & Pre-Chop Phacoemulsification Technique: outcomes, complication rates and long-term effects on corneal clarity. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2011
29. Vasan R, Berenberg T, Starr CE. Correlation of Tear Osmolarity, Ocular Surface Disease Index, and SANDE Scores in Healthy Volunteers. Poster Presentation at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2011
30. Donnenfeld E., Holland E, Nichamin L, Wallace RB, Starr CE, Conway T, Hollander D. A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation of the Effects of Cataract Extraction and Limbal Relaxing Incisions on Corneal Sensation and Dry Eye. Paper given at the AAO Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2011
31. Alzaga-Fernandez A, Starr, CE. Visual rehabilitation of a patient with bilateral corneal keloids using the Boston Keratoprosthesis. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2012
32. Sood P, Starr CE. Tear Osmolarity Before and After Photorefractive Keratectomy. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2012
34. Klufas M, Starr CE (senior author) et. al. The Boston Type I Keratoprosthesis: The Weill Cornell Experience. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL May 2012
35. Feng JJ, Starr CE. Correlation Between Tear Osmolarity, Tear Meniscus Height & Subjective Symptoms of Dry Eye Disease. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL May 2012
36. Fernandez AGA, Radcliffe NM, Sippel KC, Starr CE, Ciralsky JB, Rosenblatt MI, D'Amico DJ, Kiss S. Boston Keratoprosthesis Type 1 Device/Graft/Host Interfaces Evaluated by High-Definition Spectral-Domain Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. 8TH Keratoprosthesis Study Group Meeting, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami FL, May 2012
37. Klufas, M. Alsberge, J, St. Clair, R. Starr, CE. Outcomes of Supracapsular Cataract Surgical Techniques With Premium IOLs. Poster presented at Association of Cataract & Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2013.
37. Bohm, Kelley, Starr CE. Dry Assessment in the Elderly Patient. American Geriatric Society Meeting, Seattle, WA, May 2013.
1. Starr CE. Tear Film Phaco. Eyetube.net, 2011
2. Starr CE. Pop & Prechop: a novel safe supracapsular cataract surgery technique. Eyetube.net 2011 & ASCRS Film Festival, 2012
3. Radcliffe N, Kiss S, Starr CE. Keratoprosthesis Surgery. American Glaucoma Surgery Meeting, Film Festival 1st Prize, 2011
4. Starr CE, Kiss S. Boston Keratoprosthesis Surgery. Academy of Ophthalmology EyeWiki (www.eyewiki.aao.org), 2011
5. Starr CE (Host). Eyetube Video Journal Club. Widely viewed online video series in which I moderate discussions on current research with the study's authors, 2011-2012
6. Starr CE. Ocular Surface Dysfunction: Dry Eye, MGD & Allergic Conjunctivitis. Filmed CME Lecture and Webcast, broadcast on Eyetube.net, Fall, 2011
7. Starr CE. Teaching Cataract Surgery to Residents, Improved Safety With The Pop & Prechop Technique. I was interviewed by Margueritte McDonald for the video series Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Journal Club, on Eyetube.net 3/2012
8. Starr CE (Host). Ocular Surface Online Journal Club. Online video series in which I discuss interesting cases involving ocular surface disorders and moderate discussions on current research, on www.eyetube.net, 2012