Alvin I. Mushlin, M.D., Sc.M.
Public Health-Preventative Medicine
Recent peer-reviewed articles and publications:
- Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Zwanziger J, Mushlin AI, Forthy SH. Quality Report Cards, Selection of Cardiac Surgeons and Racial Disparities: A Study of the Publication of the NYS Cardiac Surgery Reports. Inquiry 41(4): 435-46 (Winter 2004-2005).
- Hupert N, Cuomo J, Callahan MA, Mushlin AI, Morse SS. Community-Based Mass Prophylaxis: A Planning Guide for Public Health Preparedness. Prepared by Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Department of Public Health under Contract No. 290-02-0013-3. AHRQ Pub No. 04-0044. August 2004.
- Bach PB, Elkin EB, Pastorino U, Kattan MW, Mushlin AI, Begg CB, Parkin DM. Benchmarking Lung Cancer Mortality Rates in Current and Former Smokers. Chest. 2004 Dec; 126(6):1742-9.
- Williams GC, Gagne M, Mushlin AI, Deci EL. Motivation for Behavior Change in Patients with Chest Pain. Health Education, Vol. 105
- Honkanen LA, Schackman BR, Mushlin AI, Lachs MS. A Cost-Benefit Analysis of External Hip-Protectors in the Nursing Home Setting. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Feb;53(2):190-7.
- Mushlin AI, Kern LM, Paris M, Lambert DR, Williams G. The Value of Diagnostic Information to Patients with Chest Pain Suggestive of Coronary Artery Disease. Med Decis Making. 2005 Mar-Apr; 25(2):149-57.
- Sostman HD, Forese LL, Boom ML, Schroth L, Klein AA, Mushlin AI, Hagale JE, Pardes H, Girotto RG, Gotto Jr. AM. Building a Transcontinental Affiliation: A New Model for Academic Health Centers. Academic Medicine. Nov 2005
- Zwanziger J, Hall WJ, Dick AW, Zhao H, Mushlin AI, Hahn RM, Wang H, Andrews ML, Mooney C, Wang H, Moss AJ. The Cost Effectiveness of Implantable Defribrillators: Results from MADIT-II. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 47(11):2310-2318, June 2006
- Kern LM, Callahan MA, Brillon DJ, Vargas M, Mushlin AI, Glucose Testing and Insufficient Follow-up of Abnormal Results: a Cohort Study. BMC Health Services Research 2006, 6:87.
- Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Mushlin AI. Referrals to high-quality cardiac surgeons: patients' race and characteristics of their physicians. Health Serv Res. 2006 Aug;41(4 Pt 1):1276-95.
- Sostman HD, Forese LL, Boom ML, Schroth L, Klein AA, Mushlin AI, Hagale JE, Pardes H, Girotto RG, Gotto AM Jr. Building a transcontinental affiliation: a new model for academic health centers. Acad Med. 2006;81 Suppl:61-8.
- Honkanen L, Mushlin AI, Lachs M, Schackman BR. Can external hip protectors cost-effectively prevent fractures in community-dwelling geriatric populations? J AM Geriatr Soc. 54:1658-1665, November 2006
- Pieracci FM, Eachempati SR, Christos PJ, Barie PS, Mushlin AI. Explaining insurance-related and racial disparities in the surgical management of patients with acute appendicitis. Am J Surg. 2007 Jul;194(1):57-62.
- Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Buchmueller TC, Ladd H, Mushlin AI. Changes in racial disparities in access to coronary artery bypass grafting surgery between the late 1990s and early 2000s. Med Care. 2007 Jul;45(7):664-71.
Recent books, book chapters, editorials and comments, book reviews and letters:
- Sorbero MES, Dick AW and Mushlin AI. Physicians' Estimates of Patients' Pretest Probability of Coronary Artery Disease: Are They Consistent with the Prevalence of Disease? (Abstract) Medical Decision Making, 2002.
- Sorebero MES, Dick AW, Mushlin AI. Are There Gender Differences in the Effect of Noninvasive Test Results on Primary Care Physicians' Estimates of the Probability of Coronary Artery Disease? (Abstract) Medical Decision Making, 2003.
- Callahan, MA, Mushlin, AI. The Influence of Subspecialty Training on In-Hospital Mortality for Gastrectomy and Colectomy Patients. American Surgical Association, Washington, D.C., April 2003.
- Honkanen LA, Schackman BR, Mushlin AI, Lachs MS. Response to commentary by Dr. Oliver and colleagues on hip protectors. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Jul;54(7):1159-60.