Kelly A. Garrett, M.D.
Kelly Garrett, MD, is Assistant Professor of Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
She specializes in the minimally invasive surgical treatment of colon and rectal cancer, pelvic floor disorders and inflammatory bowel disease.
Dr. Garrett received her B.A. from Drew University in 1996, and her MD from St George's University in 2003. She completed her residency training in general surgery at Albany Medical Center in 2008 and fellowship in Colon and Rectal Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in June 2009. She was named Fellow of the Year in recognition of her clinical expertise and high quality patient care. Following her fellowship, Dr. Garrett served as a member of the Associate Staff at the Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation before coming to NYP/Weill Cornell.
Dr. Garrett is a member of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and American College of Surgeons. She is certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. She has won awards for research papers while in training, and has contributed several journal publications and book chapters. Dr. Garrett was selected in 2014 as a New York SuperDoctor Rising Star, a recognition of excellence in the field of colorectal surgery for physicians in practice for under 10 years.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
Garrett K, Butler A, Cohen WR. Cesarean delivery during second-stage labor: characteristics and diagnostic accuracy. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2005 Jan;17(1):49-53.
Garrett K, Stain S, Rosati C. Non-Operative Management of Liver Gunshot Injuries. Current Surgery. 2006 May-Jun; 63(3):169-73.
Garrett K, Lee E. Left Colectomy. In: Evans SRT. Surgical Pitfalls: Prevention and Managment. Philadelphia: Elsevier Science. Nov 2008.
Garrett KA, Champagne BJ, Valerian BT, Peterson D, Lee EC. A Single Training Center's Experience with 200 Consecutive Cases of Diverticulitis: Can all patients be approached laparoscopically? Surg Endosc. 2008 Nov; 22(11): 2503-8. Epub 2008 Mar 18.
Garrett KA, Rosati C. Gastro-Broncho-Pleural Fistula after Laparoscopic Gastric Band Placement. Obesity Surgery. 2009 Jul; 19 (7): 941-943.
Garrett KA, Remzi FH, Kirat HT, Fazio VW, Shen B, Kiran RP. Outcome of Salvage Surgery for Ileal Pouches Referred with a Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009 Dec; 52 (12): 1967-1974.
Garrett KA, Kalady M. Anal Neoplasms. Surg Clin North Am. 2010 Feb; 90 (1): 147-61.
Gurland B, Garrett KA, Firoozi F, Goldman HB. Transvaginal Sacrospinous Rectopexy: Initial Clinical Experience. Techniques in Coloproctology. 2010 Jun; 14 (2): 169-73. Epub 2010 Mar 23.
Garrett KA, Church J. History of Hysterectomy: a significant problem for colonoscopists that is not present in patients who have a sigmoid colectomy. Dis Colon Rectum. 2010 Jul; 53 (7): 1055-60.
Honors and Awards
Dr. Garrett was selected in 2014 as a New York SuperDoctor "Rising Star," an award given in recognition of excellence in clinical care for physicians in practice for under 10 years. Dr. Garrett was named Fellow of the Year in 2009 at Cleveland Clinic Foundation. She has won awards for research papers.
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Rectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Rectal Cancer
- Endoscopic Surgery
- Pelvic Surgery
- Bowel Obstruction Surgery
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Colon Surgery
- Fistula, Anal
- Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn's Disease
- Complex Pelvic Surgery
- Rectal Prolapse
- Hemorrhoid Surgery
- Diverticular Disease
- Bowel Dysfunction
- Surgery For Anal Incontinence
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissure and Fistula
- Complex Anal Fistula Disease
- Rectal and Anal Surgery
- Anal Incontinence
- Bowel-Sparing Strictureplasty
- Ostomy Creation, Care and Revision
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Colonoscopy
- Cancer of Colon With Rectum
- Surgery, Colon and Rectal
- B.A., Drew University, 1996
- M.D., St. George's University School of Medicine (Grenada), 2003